Monday, October 6, 2014

October 6, 2014

TAKING OVER THE AREA!


Sisters Coleman and Vanderhoff

I have a new companion! Her name is Sister Vanderhoff, and she's awesome :) We get along really well and have a lot of fun (but not too much of course :) ). She's been out 6 months, and this is her third area, which is really unusual for our mission, normally we stay in one area for at least 6 months. She's really a wonderful missionary, and person. Getting a new companion is so weird, it's really strange to be with someone 24/7, and then never see them anymore, and suddenly have to be with this new stranger all the time. But it's going well, so far I've gotten along with my companions instantly. It kind of feels like we already know each other. 

Taking over the area has been scary, I'm definitely not ready. But there have been no disasters yet, and I'm actually really grateful, it's helping me learn and grow a lot. It's really helping me become more confident and come out of my shell more and more. I think the best way to grow is when you have no choice :) Hard times are no fun of course, but they really teach us to rely on God.

It FINALLY cooled down here! We wore long sleeves the other day because we were just so excited that we could! It probably wasn't even that cool, it was just so nice to not be in the 90's. Florida is so hot. I can't even explain how weird it was to walk outside and have it actually feel nice, we were freaking out a little. I don't know how long it'll stay this way, I'm hoping for forever, but we'll see :)

Ahhh, General Conference was so awesome!!! I honestly never appreciated it in the past like I should have. It was so good, I never wanted it to end. I loved how bold they were, we obviously need to shape up :) I loved when they talked about sharing the gospel! Missionaries really do need the members help, I never had any clue until I came out here. We absolutely cannot do it without you guys. And I loved what Elder Bednar said about how we naturally want to share something that has given us so much joy, and helped us through our pain. It's so true. I've seen our investigators' and new members' desire to share the things they're learning and their brand new testimonies, and I wish we could all have the same fire they do.

Apparently the satellite at our church got fried by lightning, so a member took us to the church for the morning sessions both days, and we watched the afternoon sessions at their home. They're really good friends of ours, if I wasn't on a mission I'd probably just hang out at their house all day :) The relationships that you build with people is one of my favorite parts of my mission so far, it's really wonderful.



People here are so good to us. It's great to be so loved by members and investigators, especially since the people we talk to on the street don't always love us so much... But the other day this kid came up to me when we were leaving from visiting an investigator. He just ran up and hugged me and was like "We love you guys!" I had never seen him before in my life, it was so cute :) Apparently they're in the Spanish ward in our stake. There's this sweet old lady who lives in our apartment complex who we helped carry in her groceries one day. We stopped by yesterday and she was like "It's so wonderful to have someone who cares." And a member of our ward told us how good she feels when we come over and how it gives her hope that she can get through hard things. It's such a blessing to be able to make people feel that way. 

Sorry, I feel like I'm bragging a little, but in the words of Ammon, "I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God. Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strenhth I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever." 

Seriously though.

No comments:

Post a Comment